Wednesday 16 May 2007

"1st's"

Yesterday was our third wedding anniversary. I did not deal with the day very well. I have not been dealing with "1st's" very well. My first trip home from hospital is the "1st" one since the injury, our wedding anniversary was the "1st" since the injury...and so on. On "1st's" I tend to focus on what in my life is not the same as the last time a particular event occured rather than celebrate a day out from the hospital, a happy marriage, or small improvements.
However a new and very different "1st" occured today, one that has really made me apreciate my recovery. As I walked across the dining hall this evening - very slowly, limping and supported by splint and stick, I stopped to talk to a young lady who was admitted here today. She is currently in a wheelchair and has extremely limited use off all limbs. I asked how she was settling in and if she was ok - her reply? She wished she could walk like me.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

You are an inspiration to all of us.

Happy Wedding Anniversary! I remember it so well, and there are parts of it I wish I didn't. Like when Robert locked himself out of our hotel room, naked, at 3am, and couldn't wake me up. Oops, I didn't just say that did I?

Mel said...

I had forgotten about that! Made me giggle all over again!

Rob said...

We drove past your weddign venue the other day - brought it all back! Like how hot it was!
xx