Saturday 16 June 2007

Wireless Festival



Whilst I was still in hospital and pretty much completely paralysed Andrew bought tickets to see Faithless at the o2 Wireless festival. This was a moment of great faith and optimism on his behalf. At this point we had no idea if I would be able to move, then there was of course the consideration that the last time we went to the Wireless festival I managed to get so completely wasted early doors that I had to be taken home in disgrace.
As the date approached we nearly decided not to go. I still cannot walk far, tire easily and find large crowds daunting. We also were unsure how to get there, how people with disabilities would be treated etc, etc..........
Luckily we binned this defeatist attitude and decided to go - Andrew drove, I took the wheelchair.
We had a great time! The facilities and treatment were 1st class, a credit to the festival and the charity Attitude is everything who work to improve access to live music for disabled people. The disabled entrance was well staffed - by disabled people - everything was well explained and off we headed to the disabled stand. This was right in front of the hospitality stand, to the left of the stage, with a great view heaps of space, friendly attendants and its own roped off, super clean (security guarded) toilets.
Andrew could not believe his luck! They bought him a chair over and everything!!! Even the dance tent had a viewing platform. We visited this early on in the evening when it was so quite mellow so I had little opportunity to throw many wheelchair shapes.
We pottered around for a while before heading back to the viewing stand, the only hairy moment coming when after three pints of Tuborg (bad ten years ago when I 1st tried, no better now) I though I might have a bit of a walk,luckily Andrew persuaded me that the middle of the park with thousands of people on the move was not the place............
Mark Ronson put on a top performance, we revelled in our view, a clear line of vision to the main stage, over the crowds and to much of the rest of the festival. 9 pm came around and Faithless burst onto the stage all guns blazing with Insomnia. The performance was slick and well polished, however any new stuff they played could not hit the highs of the classics. I even managed a bit of an uncordinated dance to God is a DJ. Standing, holding onto the railings for dear life. Andrew looked a little concerned at this point, think he was worried about being thrown of the platform!
We left just before the end, nothing to do with being worried about me and the crowds leaving, Andrew had forgotten a jumper and was freezing! We finished the night with fish & chips on the way home. Perfect, bring on Bestival!!!






4 comments:

Heidi said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome... well done you guys. Well done for going. That is the spirit we like and what we are trying to do in our own way with Sami. V jealous especially wanted to see Mark Ronson. Bring on the Bestival. Much love... Bert posing as Heidi

Heidi said...

This is Heidi posting as Heidi


Wooooo hoooooo!!!! I got goose bumps when I read - Faithless!! Well done, good on you for going. Attitude is everything. Bring on Bestival indeed!

Mel said...

So glad we took the plunge and went!We will be having a ball at Bestival - will be practicing my wheelchair shapes...!

Rob said...

Well done you two - good flaming work all round! I used to have a picture of the item that did for you at the first Wireless event - I must see if I can dig it out (of the ground)
xx