Tuesday 7 August 2007

Back behind the wheel







Today I have been for a driving assessment with The Queen Elizabeth Foundation, an organisation that assesses those with physical and cognitive disabilities for their ability to drive They are a approved by the DLA and are among the one of the only places to prove you are fit to drive for a fee without awaiting lengthy DLA assesment. They are a not for profit organisation. Unless, you have caused a crash and the person you have hit insurance decides you were not fit to drive, sends you there for a test and then charges your insurance company, LOOOOOOOAAADS!

Amazing place with amazing staff, static car unit to try, loads of adaptations etc, off road test site...it goes on......

The upshoot is I am good to drive and I need no adaptations other than to have an automatic car. I am amazed at the recovery this means my left hand has made in recent weeks.

By a very bizarre coincident Andrew has had a collection box on his counter at work for some 4-5 years for the Queen Elizabeth Foundation, one of his customers regularly fund raises for them. He had no idea who they were, or what they did, until they got me back in a car today. What comes around.............goes around.

3 comments:

Silvana said...

Absolutely brilliant Mel! As someone whe didn't drive until I was 30, I still feel a massive surge of freedom everytime I get behind the wheel. Really glad you've got that freedom back x x x

Mel said...

Thanks, I am sooo pleased! Just got to wait for the DVLA to approve the licence then we are off car shopping!!!

Rob said...

This is great news - well done Mel!
xx